Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Independence Day Tribute



Having had a week to reflect on Utah’s recent Primary races and talk with friends, family and neighbors about the outcomes, I know unequivocally that I supported the right men and woman in these races—regardless of whether they won or lost.

As I dig a little deeper trying to make sense of why good people have a harder time winning and the psyche of the average American voter, I cling to a helpful mantra I heard about from a good friend. I return to it quite often these days:

It’s a marathon, not a sprint!

The Fourth of July seems a perfect day to pay homage to this particular mantra. 

Sometimes the good fight just takes a little longer than expected. After all, it took centuries of misrule to break the camel’s back for the colonies but it did finally happen and the birth of the United States and the U.S. Constitution won the endgame.

While it appears from Justice Robert’s recent Obamacare ruling, President Obama’s executive orders that seemingly silence immigration law, AG Holder’s “Fast and Furious” crap shoot, and the current administration’s subversive national security leaks that the idea of "desperate times call for desperate measures" seems like the appropriate dictate, I would warn against heading down this path.
 
As I stood yesterday in my kitchen listening to my teenage son and his friends discuss their fall school debate schedule, how the Obamacare ruling would likely be the debate-topic de jour, and talk about a friend’s recent humanitarian trip to Haiti and how thankful this friend was to be back in the United States after experiencing the destitution and anarchy of Port-au-Prince, it occurred to me that the American Dream might be broken for the moment but it’s far from dead. 

In fact, this dream of freedom and hope seems more today than ever before like a global necessity. 

What this kitchen conversation cemented in my mind was the thought that no matter how battered our country, its Constitution and the political environment may appear to be at this moment in history, “American individualism” and the right to freedom that comes with this ideology mindset has been hardwired into Americana DNA for hundreds of years.

For this, I am thankful and hopeful that come November 2012 our country, Utah included, will be sprinting down Heartbreak Hill toward the marathon finish line.